Prior to its re-
In 1996 the location of the ancient spoil mound was identified following the discovery of several stone mining tools within the outcast of a badger’s set. The site was surveyed and excavated the following year and charcoal recovered from these layers has now been dated to between 1890 and 1630 yrs cal BC.
The cobbles used as hammer stones at the mine are largely of igneous origin, the nearest source for these being Tonfanau beach north of Tywyn (Timberlake & Mason 1997).
This website was made possible by a grant from the Cambrian Archaeology Association
Photograph of excavation and survey work in 1996.
Plan of Ogof Wyddon site and trenches. (B. Craddock and Simon Timberlake)