Early Mines Research Group Who We Are Excavations Surveys Environmental Research Mining and Smelting Experiments Publications Services Grants Received News & Updates Links Contact Us Comet Lode - Copa Hill

Situated at the head of the Melindwr valley, this small overgrown opencast located some 100 m south of the 19th century engine shaft was the scene of the discovery of stone hammers, “wedges” and mortar stones when it was re-examined by working miners in 1866.

The EMRG surveyed these workings and excavated trenches into the north-east side of the grassy hillock to examine the very shallow and weathered spoil layers (Timberlake 1992).

A radiocarbon date of between 1885-1735 yrs cal B.C. was obtained from charcoal associated with hammer stone flakes.

Created by


This website was made possible by a grant from the Cambrian Archaeology Association

(S. Timberlake and B. Craddock, 1993)
Mail: bc293@cam.ac.uk